Imagine an innovative elder culture that approaches looming issues in sustainability and health care in an entirely new way. Our aim is to provide the mutual support to flourish, living in an optimal range of human functioning for the rest of our lives. Canadian Senior Cohousing combines the well-established international model of senior cohousing with new ideas for active aging here in Canada.
Recent Media on Senior Cohousing CBC broadcast an update about Harbourside on The Sunday Edition, June 10 2018. Click here to listen to an interview on cohousing and the future of real estate with cohousing developers Raines Cohen (California Cohousing) and Canada’s Ronaye Matthew (Cohousing Development Consulting): https://www.voiceamerica.com/episode/96451/co-housing-in-the-future-of-real-estate
Visit Harbourside Cohousing’s media page for links to recent coverage of that innovative community. Click here to hear a short 24 Feb 2016 interview about Saanich Peninsula Cohousing and Harbourside Cohousing on CBC radio’s All Points West. Here is a link to the CBC Sunday Edition documentary on Harbourside from 8 Nov 2015. In 2014 and 2105, these 3 articles appeared in Communities Magazine. Click here for the 2014 piece, and here for the 2015 articles.
Click her for more information and to register
Is Cohousing For You?
Find out in our
next 2-Day Workshop Mar 2 & 3, 2019
in Sidney, BC
hosted by Ravens Crossing Cohousing
Participants in an earlier workshop
$145 per person or $195 for two
Dr Margaret Critchlow PhD
Anthropologist, Educator, Cohousing Consultant, & Founding Member, Harbourside Cohousing
- what is cohousing all about? Is it for me? You’re invited to participate and find out.
- learn and experience some of the skills used in cohousing groups & ask your questions.
- meet the people who are developing cohousing communities on Vancouver Island.
- Attend a free Info Session about West Wind Harbour Cohousing to be held during the lunch hour on Saturday
- Find out about the Ravens Crossing Cohousing project in Sidney in a free info session on Saturday at 4 pm.
- Bring a dish to share for pot luck lunches on both days. (Grocery store nearby for pot luck provisioning)
Learn about a creative alternative to today’s culture of individualism and materialism. Cohousing is a neighbourhood design that values privacy and community, independence and interdependence.
In this experiential two-day workshop, participants will explore how to access the creative power of community to build a better world and improve quality of life. Margaret will draw on examples from other cultures, old-fashioned neighbourhoods, and contemporary cohousing communities. You will learn together how to work through differences collaboratively, make decisions well, and find creative solutions that enable the best in all of us.
Recommended for anyone considering cohousing and especially for those interested in the West Wind Harbour Cohousing project, under construction in Sooke, or the Ravens Crossing Cohousing initiative now in development in Sidney. Please plan to attend a workshop and information session if you are interested in becoming an Associate Member.
Topics will include:
- Take a good look at how and where you live now. What do you want for your future?
- What is it like to live in cohousing? To develop it? How to know if it is for you?
- What skills are needed in cohousing and how to get them. What you can & can’t do yourself.
- Introduction to consensus-based decision-making
- Communication training
- Integrating into cohousing initiatives: values/mission, site selection, planning your community, choosing professionals, information sessions, fun
Click here for more information and to register